Monday 4 February 2013

Five Years From Fifty.....

Sunday January 28th 1968
A day that would forever change my life, though it was two years
before I even began breathing. It's the day my Hubby Bub was born and I'm happy
to be typing about his most recent birthday. Last Monday he turned forty-five and
I was extremely excited to be having friends and family over to help us celebrate.
It wasn't elaborate in any way but it was wonderful!

I spent the day preparing our feast which included, a very large turkey, stuffing,
mashed potatoes, steamed carrots, fresh spinach, gravy, dinner buns and of course
a chocolate cake to ice the event. Tidying up the house was also a task I tended
to and by 5pm, our guests arrived. There were nine of us here and though our
home space isn't huge, we were all content and comfortable.
It was especially nice to see one of our guests in a good way, you see, she struggles
with several things and has for many years.
There have been times in the recent past that she wasn't in the smiley way that
served her last Monday. Not wanting to focus on the negative in anyone, I won't
give her "demon days" more mention.
Instead, I will hark about how happy it made us all to see her in such a sweet state.
As a teen, I wanted to be just like her, gorgeous, smart, sociable, generous and gentle. She also introduced me to the best T.V show of all time (IMHO), WKRP In Cincinnati.
My Confirmation pin was a gift from her with my chosen name etched across it (Alicia), which I still have by the way.  :)
My love for her has never been lost but it has been tested a lot in many ways for
last twenty years. I'll not try to untangle what she or anyone else struggles with but
I will speak of things I've experienced with loved ones, when need be.
Right now, that is exactly what I'm doing.

Back to the birthday boy!
As always, Billy was very welcoming with our company and was constantly comical.
Cracking people up is something he prides himself on, he does it well and I hope he
never stops finding the humor in most anything.
His Mother and Sisters actually used to pay him small amounts of money to make
them giggle. I can understand why they did, he is one funny Fella.
The dinner was delicious (taking a humble bow) and everyone went away well fed.
He didn't get many gifts but the few he received, he most certainly enjoyed.
I would tell you of the gifts I gave him but I doubt anyone would find it to be enjoyable reading. :P
I can almost hear my Sister giving me grief over that last sentence!....hahahaha
One of our guests was under two years old and thankfully was watched by our oldest Son.Thanks Goose, you helped make Daddy's Big Day a blast!
While some of our company stayed upstairs and were entertained playing video games or getting into everything, the rest of us gathered in the basement to watch a movie.
We all laughed and shared smiles, thoughts of it a week later have me feeling grateful that we all got together for Billy's birthday.
Tomorrow there will be more birthday celebrations for a young Cousin and I am looking forward to seeing many of my loved ones at the party.
Also, it's My Step-Dad's birthday and I hope we will be stopping in to see him as well.
Well Folks, that's all I have to type about for now and the familiar hunger bug is howling from within so I must go give it what it grumbles for.
Thanks for reading what's in my mind grounds and I hope this day finds you happy and in well health!
P.S I'll leave you with a picture from his Five Years From Fifty birthday party.  :)










No comments:

Post a Comment