Tuesday 28 May 2013

Lovely As Lilacs Was This Day In May.....

When thoughts of this past Saturday swim in the think tank, that's what I'll remember. It was lovely as lilacs and also the colour of my Cousin's wedding party. What a beautiful day, we were blessed with and a terrific time was had by all. The Bride (my first Cousin on my Father's side) is a beautiful, loving and very lively lady. She had hoped to be married a few years ago, before her Father fell ill and passed on but that wish washed away. I'm sure glad the dream of her perfect wedding didn't. The youngest of four children and the only girl among them, Shonna, like myself, has a slight stubborn streak in her and can be down right determined when her sights are set on something. It's one of the things I love most in her personality. As I lay these lines here, the mind grounds make back to our childhood, I'm reminded of their family pet, Seamus. An Irish Setter that had silky, shiny, strands of hair. Kind of like my Cousin did on Saturday. Now Shonna, if you're reading, please take no offense. I mentioned Seamus not to compare hairs, Hahaha!, but to share in how I do think you are like your old dog, in another way. Remember how you kids wouldn't let that poor dog alone?, you all put that pooches life to the test!. I can see it like yesterday, you four, saddling and spurring that Setter up!. Ahhh dearly departed, Seamus!. She always came back for more and was devoted to her loving family. Just like you, lady!. You're Daddy was and I'm sure, still is, very proud of you, we all are.

Like most elaborate, elegant events like this one, we all wanted to look our Sunday best, personally, I think we pulled it off, perfectly. Of course no one looked better than the Bride and I was happy to see her stunning self as she slowly stepped down the aisle. Did I mention, I was one of the very few to not see her dress before the big day?. It was well worth the wait and words don't do justice to how wonderful she and her Groom looked. I take from that day so many marvelous moments and memories made in them. Funny moments like, me stressing about the silky bows not sticking to the pews; I'm certain my dead Daddy and Uncle kept knocking them off!. I had only two jobs for this wedding and the bows got the best of me!. To seeing all of my loved ones laugh and love every second we shared. I don't think anyone who attended would disagree with me when I say, the terrifically touching dance with the Bride and her Brother's, was the most wonderful part. Though my eyes were never dry for long during the day and through the night, a lot of folks shared eye leaks with me as she danced with her oldest, middle and then youngest Brother. The kicker in the ticker was seeing pictures of days passed with their Father, playing on the projection screen behind them. Yup, I have tears typing this now. Another awesome moment was witnessing the Bride's Mother and her Uncle (her Father's Brother) walking Shonna down the aisle. Seeing so many people that years pass in between time shared, was a treat and it was extra special that some of my Husbands family was also there. The same family I once lived above. A treat indeed!. The food was fabulous and I will be finding out just where they get those little potatoes from. A sundae bar was set out and even poutine at midnight!. My Son's couldn't wait for that part. Desserts were made by a few family members and I was pleased that my oldest Son along with my Sister, added edible excellence. Dancing, chatting, laughing and feasting were things we all had fun doing. I'll always think of the efforts you and others made when looking back on May 25th 2013. Thank you Shonna and Marty!, whatever the price you paid to pull your big day off, we all enjoyed everything!, I hope it was worth it to you, we thought it was.

In ending this entry, I'd like to make mention of my Cousin's kindness and consideration. They should be on their Honeymoon now but instead are helping care for one of her Brothers, while he heals after a short slice under the knife. Things like that make my blood pumper pound proudly for my loved ones!, take a bow you two, you did done good!. With that, I'll say sayonara, for now and leave these lines with a few photos from the festivities. Thanks for reading what's in the mind grounds and may this day find you filled with love and laughter. 



2 comments: