Tuesday 19 March 2013

Where The Deer And The Pheasants Do Play......

I would have said "where the deer and the antelope play" but we didn't see any antelope while we were away. We did see a deer and even shot a couple pheasants so that's how I chose the title of this blog. Hello everyone! (waving) I'm happy to again be adding entries from "the nest". While we were away, our Son's laptop was fixed by my very generous Brother-In-Law and I'd like to extend my thanks here for all his help. Before leaving for our trip on Sunday, we attended Aidn's hockey game where he once again scored a goal and added another assist to his puck performance. That was a swell start to our vacation. Once we were on the road, our Son's excitement exceeded it's previous levels, they couldn't wait to arrive at the "deer camp". Less than a two hour drive, we didn't have to wait long. Pulling into the unpaved road of a driveway that extends to the log cabin, filled me with anticipation over the rest of our family that would soon be arriving. Again, the wait wasn't a lengthy one and our clan of Cousins were with us less than an hour after our arrival. I took to the stove and started dinner, perogies and a spinach salad would be served. Everyone enjoyed my edible efforts and as always, it was perfectly pleasing to hear their praise.

Monday would find us welcoming even more family members. My Sister and her kids, first, then even more Cousins, I love it!. Our day was spent much like the times we all gather in home spaces, kids faces in screens, board games or video games but this time, offering other awesome options. Hunting and target shooting was also on hand. It always does me dandily to see the ones I love enjoying each others company and one of my favorite moments came while my Son and Nephew were playing Monopoly. The were speaking with funny British like accents and it was completely comical. The little ones ran from downstairs to the loft where everyone slept and though a few of them had to be told more than once to not climb or jump on certain beds, they were well behaved and were having a great time. Though this wasn't a full family vacation like back in July, there were many of us there and I'm grateful we all made the effort to be together. Dinner would be done up by Cousin Colin and I knew it would be delicious. Breaded, deep fried perch was on the menu and I helped a wee bit by making poutine for us to have with it. Another spectacular supper was served and I was happy our Cousin offered to cook for a night. My Sister and her Daughter wouldn't be staying over but she did let her Son spend the night with us and I'm glad he did. One of our Cousins that came with her Daughters wasn't feeling so good and stayed wrapped up in a "warm fuzzy" for most of the night. This made me feel even more special, making any trip with three children in tow can be trying but when you're feeling under the weather, it's worse. Thank you for being there with us, ALL OF YOU, we loved every second shared!

If my memory serves me sweetly, Tuesday we had snow and though I do like the white stuff falling from the sky when we're there, I never care for the brisk temperature change. Breakfast was made by yours truly and I thoroughly enjoyed preparing eggs benedict for all who wanted to partake. Sadly, we had to say sayonara to some of our guests. I never like that part but do understand how busy all our lives can be and sometimes schedules don't align. A nice surprise was had when a couple of the Cousins had car trouble and had to stay an extra night. You'd see no eye leaks from me about that, ever!. The guys all went out hunting and were rewarded with some wild game, two pheasants to be exact, a male and a female. I loved seeing our youngest Son proudly holding his prize up for me to snap a few shots. By the time we left, Hubby Bub's back would be feeling all the walking they did but he never complains about it and is always anxious for time at "the deer camp". Most of my time was spent, cooking, cleaning or washing out pants for our youngest. You see, his "mixed up in the mind" Mother only packed him two pairs of pants, don't ask me how I managed that, I'm blaming it on being rushed, though I remembered even the smallest of details like spices and certain pans for cooking. I'm light in the load upstairs, what can I say?. Dinner that night would be homemade pizza and I again would do the cooking, which I truly take pride in. Another yummy meal was had and I beamed as my loved ones praised my efforts.

Wednesday we said so long to the last of our guests and though we still enjoyed our final two days, I'm always of the mindset, "the more, the merrier".  Our boys behaved very well and our oldest was especially helpful when asked. Some folks down the road came to play cards with us and I did have to go upstairs once to hand out a warning to our youngest Lad but aside from that, they were superb and let us enjoy games of euchre for a few hours. I've met the Husband before, each time we've stayed at "the deer camp" but that evening was the first time greeting his Wife. A lovely couple they are and we enjoyed having them over. It was nice to hear about people and places in their lives, I love learning of others and feel it's a gift to share stories of ourselves with souls that step into our lives. We may never see them again, who knows? but for those few fly by hours, we enjoyed every second spent with them. I don't remember all moments in my life, no one does but I hope to carry as many happy ones with me in the mind grounds, as I can, for years to come. Thursday and Friday found us in lazier ways, still sweet in every stitch but in a much more laid back way. My Husband always enjoys this time more than I do, I think it's because he came from a huge family. I don't imagine there was much personal time or space in any spot of their house, when he was growing up. One thing was for certain, my eyes did leak upon our departure, I can't stand leaving vacation!

Well that's about all I have for now, Folks but I'll leave these lines with a few pictures from our time away. Thanks for reading what's in the mind grounds and may this day find you in a healthy and happy way.



No comments:

Post a Comment