Wednesday 4 January 2012

Out In The Country.......

We have returned from our trip into the wilderness and it was wonderful.
My husband has been bugging me for a long time to go and see the place
that he and so many other males in my family have fallen in love with but
I had always put him off with excuses.

Glad I finally gave in and went to see what it was all about.
My biggest worry was not being able to bathe for a few days, you see
I'm a girl that loves to soak in a hot bath at the end of a long day and the
thought of washing up with just a basin of hot water did nothing for me.
Maybe I had a touch of princessitis going on but it's all gone now.
One of the things I loved the most about the place was that it's way out in
the middle of nowhere, solitude and silence surround it.
I also feared that I would be bored beyond my brain with nothing to do
while Hubby Bub and our youngest Son were hunting.
That was all kinds of untrue.
The deer camp is only visited by men and evidence of that could
be found in every corner.
There are three entrances with only one having a rug to reign in the mud
when you walk in, keeping the floors clean was a constant effort on my
part and I'm happy to say they looked good when we left.

I spent the days cleaning and cooking, reading and resting in front of
the pot bellied fireplace while the guys were out hunting and doing the
bonding thing.
Never did I imagine that I could enjoy the deer camp so much and
I feel foolish for giving my Husband such a hard time for so long.
In the future hopefully I won't be so stubborn.
On New Years Eve we had a feast that I proudly prepared for
the ones I love. Steak, shrimp, scallops and breaded chicken balls
were part of the delicious menu. We also enjoyed cheese, crackers,
kielbasa and of course potato chips and dip (our Sons favorite)
Music filled the air from about 6am when we woke everyday until
the wee hours of the night when we searched for slumber.
Lots of country music was played and I discovered that I like the
new sounds of country more than I thought I did.
One of the highlights was hearing Seven Spanish Angels on the radio.
It was one of my Dad's favorites and it felt fantastic to dance 
with my Husband as it played.
No deer were seen but the boys did shoot a pheasant that I will
be cooking up this week.

There was one downfall in one of the days at the deer camp.
While I was getting up to visit the washroom I took a nasty tumble
down the stairs and cracked my head but good off the wood floor.
I'm bruised down my right side but thankfully I don't think I did
any long term damage, maybe it even knocked some sense into me.

So we started the new year off swell and I hope that we are able
to go back there for our 20th anniversary in April.
I'll leave these lines with a picture of where we stayed along with
a song.
Very fitting tune for the fabulous time we had.
Thanks for reading what's on my mind and I hope your new year
started out as happily as ours did.


No comments:

Post a Comment