Monday 30 July 2012

Don't Blink......

Well you shouldn't during Summer anyway.
We did and before we knew it our family vacation was over.
Last Saturday some of the thirty five of us going on the trip made
our way to a tiny little place in Ontario called Port Albert.
It's just north of Goderich and God's goodness graced every inch of
the gorgeous greenery.
I was amazed to see how well Goderich has recovered from the F3 tornado
that touched down there last Summer.
As you drive in there is a sign that boasts, "The Prettiest Town In Canada"
Far as I could see, they'll get no argument from me.
There is a point while driving past the harbour where you can see Lake Huron
open up in it's endless beauty below, miles and miles of blue bliss, breaking
on the shore.

Our first night was a busy one and had many of us unpacking then preparing dinner.
It might not look like much to do but trust me, feeding 35 for dinner takes tons of time.
I'm glad that our night to cook wasn't until Tuesday,
One of my favorite things about going away with so many other people is that at any
given time you can see women cooking, cleaning or caring for kids while the men are
bustling about outside.
That's not to say they weren't busy also, just in a different way, out of doors.
Night time by the fire pit was always a good time and I'm happy to report that we
even enjoyed live music on one of those nights.
People staying next door had a couple of guitars and a song book for to make
requests from.
The Fella sang lead while his lady friend took to back up and additional guitar.
I'm shamed to state that it's the only thing that got me from our tent where I was
throwing a two year old tantrum.
I had a couple of em while we were away and I'm still trying to shake sadness
over some of my poor choices.
Firecracker quick is my temper and sometimes it takes off at the worst times and
wounds the ones I love.
Anyway, my point was to be made about the excellent entertainment we enjoyed,
much thanks to the musicians, it ended up being a marvelous night and sent me to
bed singing while smiling instead of slumbering down with sad sourness.

Time spent at the beach was another fine place where we found tons of fun!
Many hours have I spent on both sides of Lake Huron's shores and he never disappoints.
Our beloved Aunt even made it out for a swim one day then poked fun at me
for not insisting she go swimming sooner, I told her the same thing I tell other
family members, "I can't make you do anything".
If I could have "made" her join us on any of those divine dips, I surely would have.
It's always amazing to watch how much fun any group of people can have in the
water and our family found a fantastic time on every trip.
A bit miffed at myself I am.
You see, there was one day others went and I stayed back.
I wanted to go but ended up being to slow in getting there, that happened twice
and both times where when the waves were whopping!
I'm happy to type that when I did go the beach, I enjoyed it.
Sadly,  my Sister definitely out mermaided me, this time.
Seeing my family enjoy each others company is one of the finer things in life for me.
We all grew up a block from the beach and when we play together in any body of
water, it's like going home.
I'd bet my beach ball many of you can relate when you're with family in
certain spaces.
I feel the same way when we gather around a fire pit.

Have I mentioned the feasts we fed on?
Every night was fit for a King, Queen and their whole court!
Forgive me family members, for I know that I'll forget some fine food but
I'll give it my best effort.
There was shish kabob, fish & chips, P&H coleslaw, curry chicken with
peanut sauce, chicken fajitas and juicy delicious grilled veggies!
Please pardon my watering mouth as I type.
I think the meal I enjoyed the most baised on how many times I ate it would
be my younger Cousin's.
Her family made spaghetti with garlic bread and salad.
I enjoyed every bite, three different times.
One of my favorite things to eat is fried, left over spaghetti and it was, oh so good!
We shared smores a couple of nights and Cousin Beefcake made a delicous
homemade salsa and guacamole dip for us to share around the fire.
The last night we were there my Hubby and I brought some ribs and pork chops
from home that we thought might be needed.
After spending a couple hours trying to repair a seized break line on a Cousin's
vehicle with a couple other males from our familiy, he took to BBQ'n dinner for everyone.
Did I mention how helpful and giving he was during the whole trip?
Every day I walked by family members asking "where's William?", "you seen Zeke?"
"Tell Bill to come here when he gets a minute", "can Billy Bob come help me with something?"
He was most certainly the "go to guy" when someone needed a helping hand.
It does my blood pumper proudly to see him be so giving of himself with his free time.
A fine quality indeed and definitely worth mentioning.
I'm very much a praise you, kick me kinda person and for that reason I'll tell you
about one of my tantrums.

Tuesday night it was our turn to make dinner and we decided on chicken soo gai.
A family favorite around here.
My Husband always coats and fries the soo gai while I make the gravy,
sweet & sour sauce along with rice, well I use to make the rice but I've been
booted off that duty.
Thankfully my Sis made the rice for me, I have to stir it and apparently it ruins it
if you do, who knew?
All I had to do was make the sweet and sour sauce along with the gravy and
steam the broccoli.
The gravy didn't dissolve right and any of you that know me well are aware of the
affection I have for gravy.
It always turns out but this time it didn't and I threw a two year old tantrum.
Even took it to the end of the line and refused to eat at that time.
Ended up biting me in the backside because when I woke early the next morning
craving the plate of food Hubby kept for me, I was bummed biggley to see someone
ate my soo gai and left only the limp broccoli and rock hard rice.
My own damn fault it is.
I also remember something about a shortage of forks but there's no need to make
mention of all my ugliness at once. ;P

I asked my fellow vacationers what their favorite moments were and got replies
of, "the time off work", "staying up late", "swimming at the beach", "seeing my
Daughter smile and laugh so much".
My favorite moments were all the ones we spent smiling together.
Not one ounce of anything will I give those times when we weren't.
This may not have been "the best" vacation we've ever had but it was "the best"
in being able to spend it together, none of us know if we will be able to do that again.
My heartfelt thanks to all of you who made it "the best" for me.
Sorry that I forgot the duct tape, it really could have been used on my
mouth, more than once. 
Next year I'll hand out personal rolls!  :)

This could be my longest blog entry to date so with that I'll say sayonara!
Of course I'll add a few pictures from our pleasures.
Thanks for reading what's on my mind and may what's left in this day do right by you.

P.S I have not forgot about the family reunion I was at the day before vacation and
will blog about it soon. 






No comments:

Post a Comment