Thursday 24 November 2011

Traditions.....

Traditions, that's what's on my mind at the moment.
Today is the American Thanksgiving holiday and I'm thankful for all the
blessings bestowed upon me in the last 41 years of my life.
I've been gifted another day to play on this planet and I'm pondering ways
to make it a pleasant one.
Typing some thoughts here seemed like a good start.

While my Sister and I were growing up I remember our Thanksgiving's
being filled with fabulous family members and food that would find royalty envious.
My Meme and Aunt's were in  complete control when it came to the kitchen
and they were culinary queens.
One of our holiday traditions was that everyone was to arrive by 1pm
and if you were late, Louise wouldn't let you forget it.
The time and love these women put into meal preparation still amazes
me when I think about it.
Days before the actual gathering would take place they would work into the
wee hours of the night making sure everything was just right.
Once we were all together it was often chaotic but always so cool to be a part of .
The adults scrambling to find a seat and us kids selecting spaces on the floor.
It was a small one floor, three bedroom house we were raised in and there were
always more bodies than room to be had, just the way I like it!

Now that we are all grown with children of our own we don't
get together as often as we should.
Not sure why that is but it certainly is something I would like to see change.
Back then the adults made family gatherings happen no matter
how much hard work was to be had.
As the next generation we have things so much easier and yet
it seems we've slacked in the skills we've been shown.
I don't have much time today so this will stay short and sweet
but I do want to wish everyone well in this day and I hope it holds health and happiness for you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment