Wednesday 16 May 2012

Wednesday, Wetness and Wheatley.....

Those are three things that are on my mind at the moment.
Wednesday because that's what today is and it means only two more
sleeps until the start of the May 2-4 weekend, the start of Summer to me!
Wetness because it's been raining today and Wheatley because of fond
memories made there.

I'd like to share one of my favorite Wheatley Wetness memories.
My Husband, Father and some other family members were camping
at Wheatley Provincial Park.
Number 186 in the Two Creeks area to be exact.
I'm not sure of the year but it was a summer Sunday back in the middle nineties.
We had the biggest most secluded campsite in the whole place and water
surrounds it!, my favorite campsite to this day.
You could easily pitch ten tents and three cars could park on the site.
It has a long tree lined driveway that gives added seclusion.
We were all planning  a big day filled with fishing and fun in the sun.
That was until the storm clouds rolled in and drowned all our 
dreams of the day ahead.
I'm so glad we didn't let it dampen our spirits though.
We had already been there for a few days so we did have some fish but
we needed more and didn't let the rain stop us from fishing.
Our crafty crew of Males made sure there was adequate shelter for the females
and the fish fryer we would need to cook in later.
They put up a tarp that I swear was twenty feet long and wide.
I could lay many complaints and criticisms about the pack-of-penises in my
family but not a sour say so do I have when it comes to them taking care of their women.
I recall swelling with pride over them on that day.
As we were fishing and making the camp as comfortable as you can in the
rain, our Aunt and Meme showed up.
We weren't expecting them because Meme had been in a wheelchair by then
and usually only ventured out to go shopping stateside once in awhile.
Aunt Pam was all to pleased to pack up the wheelchair and take her Mom to
do one of her favorite things......spend time with all of her kids.
The only person I know that loves spending time with the Family more than
Meme was her Son, my Father and he had a mile wide smile on his face when
they showed up.
We all talked, laughed and poked fun at each other while we worked well in keeping
dry as the rain seeped from the sky around us.
We all took turns emptying the tarp by pushing up on the sides to let the gathering
water fall to the ground.
It was really coming down at that point, lightening shot like fireworks in the sky
around us and I remember one clap of thunder making the ground vibrate below.
It was one heck of a storm but I must say it was also the most fun I have ever had
in the pouring rain.
As we were all huddled under the huge tarp,talking about who caught the most
and biggest fish we were about to experience one of the funniest memories we've
ever made together.
Just as Meme was adding her two coppers worth into the conversation, the side roof
of the tarp that she was directly sitting under decided to empty itself on her in
her wheelchair.
I can still see her shocked stare as I type these lines.
Almost instantaneously we all laughed, even Meme, she was cracking up at her
poor seating choice.

Well I must go now, I see the sun is cooperating so I may even get on
my bike today.
Thanks for reading what's on my mind and I hope the remainder of this day is
good to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment