Monday 4 June 2012

Eight Ultra Sounds.....

Today marks sixteen years to the day we found out what sex our child was.
After eight ultra sounds we finally were able to see that he was most
certainly a male!
I had been in the hospital for three and a half weeks and already knew what day
our Son would be born on but we didn't know if he was a boy or girl until today,
the day before he was born.

Though it was many moons ago I can't forget all the excitement of that
time in our lives.
Hubby Bub and I had tried unsuccessfully for five years to conceive a child.
After exploratory surgery and feeling morning sickness almost immediately, I was
indeed with child.

Rushing through my mind grounds now are the thoughts of Hubby Bub's worry
over the health of his Wife and unborn child. I lost fluid all through my pregnancy
and my Doctor did everything he could to avoid an early delivery.
He pleaded with me to rest and not be so mobile but sleep wasn't something
I could enjoy back then and I'm always in motion, even when I'm sitting.

More than once did he find me on my way outside at 4am.
"Gerene you shouldn't be up at this hour, get back to bed and don't let me
find you in the halls at this time again!"
It did nothing to deter me and I just found another exit out when I was antsy
and in need of fresh air.
Hahahaha, ya fresh air, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Happier we couldn't have been but it would prove to be very trying.
I didn't have a good pregnancy for my first but he was worth all the ounces of
everything I upchucked during the time he grew inside me. 
My Mother was with me during my last ultra sound and though I wished Hubby Bub
could have been there, I'm grateful that someone I love was.
We couldn't afford for him to take the time off work while I was hospitalized
so he saw me daily after work.
I had always dreamed of having a boy as my first child and my Mother and I
shared eye leaks when the technician told us the sex of my baby.
He wasn't an active baby in the womb and had me terrified more than once when he
didn't roll around inside me.
I guess it was just the start of ongoing worry that's never ending when it comes to our children. 

Hubby Bub was there with me on the night before Liam was born and we talked
endlessly about the plans we had to introduce him to everyone in the coming weeks.
He kissed me goodnight and said he'd be back at 5am with bells on.
He didn't return with bells but I wasn't bothered by it because I knew that soon we
would have the Son we had both dreamed of.
I was induced with a Foley catheter at 6am and in labour by the time 9am rolled around.

We wouldn't be alone in the delivery room.
My Doctor let us have one other person join us and I asked Aunt Pam if
she would do us that honor.
You see, my Aunt and her Husband weren't able to have children and she has
always been like a Mother to me.
I wanted her to experience the beauty of a new life being born into the world.
More wonderful it could not have been.
Liam Charles Francis joined the planet we're playing on at 11:37am on
Wednesday June 5th 1996 at 6lbs 7oz.

Billy and I couldn't have been more overjoyed and proud than we were at that moment.
My Husband has never been an emotional man but he couldn't stop the waterworks
from flowing that day, none of us could.
Damn, my eyes are leaking yet again by the memory of it all.
We were so lucky to have many members of our Family and friends be there
at the hospital waiting to meet him.
Two of them have since passed away and one is up so far north that I can't
even stand to see snow pics he often posts on facebook.
I really would love to have them all here on Liam's big day tomorrow but I shall
cherish every single second I had with each of them on that day.
Thank you to those that were there, then and now.

This young man that turns sixteen tomorrow has had a hold on
my heart since that first day I saw his handsome face, I pray he never lets it go.
You'll be in mine forever, I love you and have never been prouder of you Liam!
Lippiness and all.   ;P

I'll leave these lines with a couple of pictures (sorry about the poor quality)
and the song that always brings Liam to mind.
Thanks for reading what's on my mind and may the magic of memories fill your soul with sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment