Wednesday 4 April 2012

Archers Paradox......

As I left the nest this morning and made my way in getting
the boys up for school, old archery days came to mind.
Archers Paradox is a term used to describe the phenomenon in which
a target cannot be hit by shooting straight on, an arrow must be
aimed slightly to either side of the target depending on if you're a
right or left shooter in order to hit the target in the center.
I won't go into any further detail about archery as I know some of you
will be beyond bored with my excitement over it.
I will however tell you about how I got into it.....

As a young girl my Father was always doing things outdoor with my Sister and I.
He would take us fishing and hunting with him and once we showed interest in these
things he would purchase the proper equipment for us so we could become more involved.
I took to archery right away while my Sister was more into floor hockey and fishing.
Never will I forget my first bow, a plastic red Bear bow.
It was with that I gained my true taste and love for the outdoors.
Though I haven't been out hunting since my teenage years, those mornings
of solitude and the snow covered ground searching for rabbit trails still bring me back
to some of the sweetest memories in my life.

I soon took to target shooting in archery and my Father signed me up for Monday
night classes at the Forest Glade Community Center.
This would prove to be fruitful for my lack of self esteem and confidence.
It's in those classes I learned how to keep trying even when you don't
believe in your own abilities.
Daddy bought me a professional bow from a man who was a well known archer
and it was gorgeous!
Off white with a mother of pearl grip, I still have it but it was broken many years ago
by someone I won't make mention of here.
Our teachers name was Alex and he was a firm but caring older English gentleman.
Man, I was awful when the classes first started but with many hours of practice and
persistence I got much better and started competing within the region.
There was a Fella in my class that I took a liking to for a couple reasons.
He was the best shooter in the class and by far cuter than any of the other guys I
knew in my neighbourhood or at school.
He seemed cocky and sure of himself, I envied that.
He had wild curly hair and a long, large nose.
(yup, I'm the oddball girl that likes big noses)
I got it in my head that I would have to beat him and take first place to gain his attention.
Though I came close with a second place trophy from one of our competitions
it never did get me any closer to him.
I was certain that I would win that one and was heart broken when I didn't.
Shortly after that, sadly I quit and never got back into it.

Now that I'm older and have a Son that is into anything outdoors I am seriously
thinking about getting him and myself a bow so I can teach him about one of the
few things I have some knowledge on.
My Son's often ask me about my days in archery and it's something I would like to
teach them about.

This one I will leave short and sweet because much do I have to do around here.
I don't have a picture of my bow but I will include one of me from those days,
Thank you for reading what's on my mind and may this day be a beautiful
one for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment