Tuesday 10 April 2012

Easter Excellence.....

We had our fair share of it this year even though it started out sadly.
A family friend and neibour was found dead in his home by our Uncle.
As we greeted him on Easter Sunday he told us of how the horrible
image hasn't left his head, they have been friends for my whole lifetime
and it's sad to know that we must say goodbye to another loved one.

Like most recent years, we all gathered at the nursing home to celebrate
with the head of our family, "Meme".
I've mentioned her here before and will do so again today.
She'll be 90 soon and though she's not the spitfire she once was, inside
she's still the Mother we all love.
Her face lights up whenever babies or little ones are around and Sunday was
evidence of that.
We enjoyed a lovely lunch which some of us prepared and those who didn't
contribute this time did later at dinner.
There was ham, salads, baked beans and dinner buns.
Meme liked it more than anyone though I gather because she ate none stop
from just before 1pm until 3pm.
When our Aunt would be to slow in feeding her she would point to what she
wanted next and wait with an open mouth for it.
At one point she asked me "when are we going to put out the door prizes?"
I laughed a little knowing that she meant when are we gonna give the kids their
Easter gifts.
It was wonderful seeing everyone again and after we said our goodbyes there,
we all gathered at one of our Cousins for dinner.
My Cousin is a cook and always does excellent with any edible efforts but
this time my mouth is still watering two days later.
He baked whole Halibut and made a hollandaise like wine sauce to slather on top.
Heaven in my mouth I tell ya.
My Cousin, her Fiance and her Mother also contributed to the fine feast, there
was turkey, ham, stuffing, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes swimming in
brown sugar, mashed potatoes and of course gravy.
Anyone who knows me well can attest to the fact that I am a gravy connoisseur
and my Aunt makes the best that's ever been in my belly.
The only thing better than the fantastic food we shared is the time in which
we were given to enjoy it with each other.
The older I get the more I cherish each minute I am gifted with any of them.
Remember my blog entry about the dog getting hit by the van?
Well it was at their house that we had Easter dinner and true to my bad luck form
as I was doing dishes I broke their sink faucet, yup, first I break their dog and
then their kitchen sink.
No fear for me though,  my Hubby Bub was there to save my shame!
He went home to fetch a spare faucet he had sitting around in the garage.
It didn't fit but we were invited back the following night for dinner and he offered
to put in a new one that they would purchase the next day.

Last night we went back and shared left overs that were just as delicious the
day before.
After a few frustrations Hubby Bub was able to replace the faucet, relax and enjoy
the company of everyone.
While the kids were all outside playing their oldest Son was hurt and cut on the head.
Once his Mom got him cleaned up and gave him some Mommy love he was well again.
We all decided to go outside and though it was windy and a bit chilly we were able
to enjoy a small fire in their new portable fire pit.
Another Cousin and his Wife came by to join us and I poked fun at him about how
we all had our kids there but they had the nerve to show up without their one
and a half year old little butterball.....the nerve of them!....lol
The search was on for some nice sticks and soon marshmallows were being munched down.
It was fun laughing, talking and tossing about ideas for our upcoming family vacation.
I would love to go into detail here about some of our conversation but it would
only spoil the fun for us scheming few that have wheels turning upstairs over things we're plotting.
Oh no, I've said to much now, I'm sure I'll pay for that...hehehe

Though I would have liked to stay longer, we left around 8:30 because the kids
had school in the morning and  I don't mess with the sleep schedule during the school week.
Our Sons were not pleased by this but did as they were told and said their
thank yous and so longs.
Later that night as we retired to the nest I had thoughts of how lucky I truly am in
life to not only have such a wonderful family but how fabulous it is that we all want
to spend time with each other.
I know folks that can't say the same thing with some of the branches in their
family tree.
I consider myself beyond blessed being able to share a good relationship with
everyone in my family.
How sad it must feel to want to spend time with someone you love and be forced to
face that they don't feel the same way.
I pray that I never have to feel that with anyone in my bunch of branches.

I'm gonna leave these lines with a song that's fitting for my feelings
and a few photos from this past weekend.
Thanks for reading what's on my mind and may you experience excellence today! 




 



No comments:

Post a Comment