Wednesday 18 April 2012

Down But Not Out.....

That's how I felt last night heading for the nest.
I had a good day and enjoyed cooking and then going to
see Meme at the nursing home.
She ate well and her spirits were sweet even though she was
a bit confused.
I had to laugh a little when my Hubby Bub walked in and she said he was handsome.
He is but I find it humorous that she always says so.
A few weeks back she even called him her Husband, I joked with her and said
"he's mine Meme, married him almost twenty years ago and I ain't ready
to let go of him yet".
As a matter of fact, one week from today is our big day!

After having a pleasant day perogy making, I was looking forward to our Sons
enjoying some of my efforts for supper.
I should have known that the day was going to well.
So why was I feeling down at the end of such a good day?
Plainly put.....kids.

Our youngest usually has to be in by 7pm but his Father stepped in and
allowed him an extra half an hour.
Big mistake.
As you've probably already guessed, he is stubborn and the kind of
kid that takes a mile when given an inch of opportunity.
Hubby went to fetch him at 8pm and the little Lad actually had the nerve to tell
him "just a few more minutes Dad".
Never one to cause a scene, Hubs headed home alone.
I was miffed when he returned without our little fireball.
Was I going to let this child defy us?
Definitely not on my "hell no" highway! 
So off I went to change and charge after him, our oldest stopped me and
offered to go gather him instead.
I was thankful that he did as I had just made may way into my pajamas.
Moments later I could hear them in the driveway.
The young one asked,  "are Mom and Dad really mad at me?"

Soon as he stepped in the door I let him know that we were not only upset with his
poor choices but he would be sent to bed immediately and have to wait until
morning to collect the complete consequences.
Boy did that bug him, he begged for me to tell him as he didn't want to wake up with
worry over it through the night.
I had zero sympathy for him and sent him on his way.
While I was dealing with this, Hubby Bub was in our oldest Sons room and
came across an electronic screen thing that holds movies.
Not a big deal except it was found under his pillow.
When I returned downstairs he informed me that our Senior Son has been hiding
it for to watch at night after being sent to bed.
I defended our usually honest Son and claimed that he would never do such a
thing, he always leaves all his screens downstairs at bedtime.
I know this because I check every night.

This is when I was made to feel a fool.
Once shown the said screen I knew our Son had lied because I had never seen
that certain screen before and had no clue where it came from.
After taking away all his electronics and sending him to bed early, I retreated
to our nest for the inevitable.
We argued and both felt badly when we finally searched for slumber.
I was woeful  knowing it would be me that would have to deal with them
both in the morning.

Thinking back to twenty years ago when we were trying so very hard to
conceive a child, makes me laugh at how easy we thought it all would be.
We were convinced that we would make all the right choices and it would be
easy, enjoyable and entertaining.....haha, Fools were we, indeed.
Yup even I have had times in life where I thought I knew everything
on certain subjects.
Funny thing it is, learning while you're just going along living life.
I claim otherwise now, like Sergeant Schultz of Hogan's Hero's, "I See Nothing, I Know Nothing"
Happy I am in this day  to still be struggling with stressful situations of several sorts.
I may not always feel this way and surely don't when in a war of words with
loved ones but I think what's important to me is that I feel it at all after times like
last night.

Thanks for reading what's on my mind and may this day be a decent one for us all.
The clip is for all the older folks who remember......

No comments:

Post a Comment